One year ago I came to Dr. Gwinnup with headaches I had for 20 years. My headaches seemed to be getting worse and were interfering in my family life. After allergy testing, clearing and spinal adjustments my headaches decreased in both frequency and intensity. I was thrilled and felt like I had my life back.

Dawn D.

Mt. Pleasant, SC

I really can not remember the year that the vertigo and headache spells began. At first they were very mild and rare. As time passed they grew in both intensity and frequency. My job required me to drive a vehicle on a daily basis and these spells were getting to the point that I was concerned for my safety and the safety of others.

I began seeking treatment and relief from these spells by visiting my family doctor. After the assessment, I was given a prescription for something to help my inner ear and some migraine pain medicine. I tried it for a few weeks but still continued to have further vertigo spells and headaches.

On my second visit, my family doctor referred me to a doctor at MUSC. After extensive tests at MUSC which included MRI's of the neck and head, ENG tests, etc. I was still no closer to be curing. As a last resort, I decided to try a chiropractor.

Dr. Gwinnup was recommended by a friend of my wife's After describing symptoms to him, we began chiropractic adjustments especially to my neck and shoulder regions. Within a few weeks, I was experiencing some relief and within a few months, I was not experiencing any headaches or vertigo spells.

I have been visiting Dr. Gwinnup off and on for over 5 years. I have come to realize when I need to make a visit and have had minimal reoccurrence of my symptoms. When I do have a spell, I can be adjusted and within 12 hours, I am back to normal.

I can't tell you that chiropractic care is for everyone, but I can tell you it has worked for me and continues to work for me.

David G.

In March of 2003, my husband and I were in the process of building our house. After a weekend of painting and sanding, I developed a migraine headache that escalated above and beyond the usual. By the next morning, I could hardly walk or talk and the left side of my body was numb. My migraine would not go away and I had severe spasms in my neck. A head and neck tremor began that made me appear to be shaking my head emphatically "no".

I was sent to a neurologist at MUSC and was admitted into the hospital for 3 days of tests. I had numerous tests including an MRI, a CAT scan, and a C-Spine X-ray. After the tests, he said he did not know why I was experiencing these symptoms and that it was just the stress from building our house. My family and I, not agreeing with the diagnosis, were referred to another neurologist at MUSC. Upon my first visit this neurologist put me on anti-depressants and an ant-seizure medication. I did not need to make another appointment unless I wanted to.

After about 3 months, I gradually began to improve. But in August of 2003, the symptoms reappeared. While at the movies with my child and her friend, I apparently had an "absent seizure" so the neurologist sent me for more tests, increased my medications and sent me to a movement disorder specialist. Again, my symptoms didn't fit into any one category so he would treat the individual symptom with medication.

From about September of that year though Christmas, I can't remember much. My memory still comes and goes with events during that time. I know that I had to depend on my friends and family to help me a lot. My speech was still slurred at times and I continued to have spasms in my neck and tingling in my hands and legs. There were times I couldn't sit up without someone helping me. My thinking was also very slow.

In January of 2004, I felt like the medications weren't really helping me so I reduced the dosages at first and then gradually stopped taking all of the medication. After about two weeks with no medication, my husband noticed an improvement in my speech and my thought process began to improve.

Around March 2004, I fell down the stairs at our house and all of my symptoms immediately disappeared. No shaking, or slurred speech or tremors. For two weeks, I was perfectly fine again. Then one morning, as I was getting ready to take a bath, I went to remove my pajama top, turned the wrong way and I began shaking again and the speech staring slurring. I went back to the neurologist to see if the problem could be in my neck. He sent me for another MRI again and said there was a problem in my neck area, but not enough to cause the symptoms I was having.

Eventually he sent me to a neurosurgeon and again I asked if my neck could be out of alignment and be the cause of my symptoms and he told me that the bones in my neck could not move around enough to produce the symptoms I was having.

After spending around $30,000 in medical and hospital bills (our insurance refused to cover most of the expenses because stress was listed before migraine on the medical record) I was done with any type of doctor. My girlfriend had been telling me about Dr. Gwinnup and how he helped her father-in-law, but I did not want to go to another doctor and have them tell me again that they could not help me. I reluctantly agreed to meet with Dr. Gwinnup. When he looked at my X-ray for the first time, he immediately saw the problem and said he could help. I could not believe that after almost 3 years someone actually could see the problem and knew what had to be done to correct it.

As of today, I feel almost like myself again. My tremors are nearly completely gone and I can perform nearly everything as when I was "normal". I continue to improve with every visit and cannot thank Dr. Gwinnup enough for helping me get my life back.

Carla H.

Ravenel, SC